Smoothie board installation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoothie board installation

Hi my name is Graham. I am new to this. I am trying to put a smoothie board onto my 3D Touch printer.
    My 1 st problem is the Y direction has two stepper motors. I don't know how to install this on the board as it only has one Y direction socket. I could join the wires together but don't know if this will work. Can anyone help me with this.

Hey Graham, you can certainly join the wires together, and I believe it should work fine as long as the two stepper don't need too much current. But I think best thing to do would be to wire in an extra stepper driver. I've never had to do it myself on the y, a quick Google search should fine you the answer. I believe only a few of the pins are required to connect to the board and then one of the stepper connects to the extra driver.

Comment

Hi Mikey, thanks for the swift reply. I think I will do as you suggest . There is space for two extruder S and I only plan using one. So I might use that position on the board. I am at present changing conecters on the wiring looms to fit the new board. Nothing is simple. I should have purchased the crimping tool.
      my P.C. Is 64 bit and does not like this board. I have an old 32 bit P.C. In the garage which I plan to use as a stand alone. It may take a while. Thanks for your help.

Comment

Your welcome buddy!

I don't know if you can use the second extruder, you'll want the y motors to be controlled together, with a dual z motor set up they are usually connected together either using one or two drivers but they are both getting the control signals at the same time. Using the 2nd extruder may give you iusses(if it's even possible) . Hope that made sense I don't know how else to explain.

Comment

Never mind in marlin at least you can enable the 2nd extruder for another axis. By the way which smoothie board do you have? My smoothie boards work fine on windows 10 64 bit.

Comment

Collapse

To post a reply to this thread you must be a member. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Please join our community today!
          Working...
          X