New to 3d printing!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to 3d printing!

I am a complete noob to 3d printing, i have a tronxy p802d. I have a few questions on everything. I was fortunate enough to come across a very generous person who recently quit 3d printing and gave me ALL of his filament stash( 370 spools!) Both PLA and ABS still wrapped in plastic and box only thing is almost all of it is 3mm and only a few are 1.75mm as far as i know my printer supports 1.75 but where the hole where the filament feeds into the extruder doesnt look big enough for 3mm i dont want to open a spool if it doesnt fit...So if it doesnt fit is there a way i can get an extruder that fits 3mm that works with my printer?

you can't use 3mm filament in a 1.75 extruder system but you can get ones for 3mm. need to know what brand extruder/hotend you have now. The E3D has both sizes . You need to figure if it's Bowden or direct drive. So I guess we need a picture of what you have. If you have a ton of 3mm get another extruder/hotend for the printer.

Comment

rOGER IS ABSOLUTELY RIGHT

Comment

https://www.walmart.com/ip/TRONXY-P8...&wl13=&veh=sem

This is the link to the printer i have. Its called tronxy p802d, but the frame says prusa i3

Comment

Im new to all of this so im not even sure where to find that info

Comment

Originally posted by Roger3D
            you can't use 3mm filament in a 1.75 extruder system but you can get ones for 3mm. need to know what brand extruder/hotend you have now. The E3D has both sizes . You need to figure if it's Bowden or direct drive. So I guess we need a picture of what you have. If you have a ton of 3mm get another extruder/hotend for the printer.
            https://www.walmart.com/ip/TRONXY-P8...&wl13=&veh=sem

This is the link to the printer i have. Its called tronxy p802d, but the frame says prusa i3

Comment

Not sure how much it helps but here a is a few pictures of the extruder area

Comment

ok this is an MK8 extruder/hotend combo direct drive and you have only one option if you don't want to get a new extruder/ hotend is to find someone that uses 3 mm filament and sell or trade for 1.75 stuff or send it thru die like they do for wire to make it smaller a dumb idea. If you want to change to a new extruder then you can use both filaments. The best thing is to look for a 3mm hot end /extruder direct drive. Whatever unit you get you will need to print a simple adapter to connect to the x axis bearings. ? what did previous owner do with 3 mm filament. Look at the genuine E3D type some are Bowden requires a different setup. The Axiom Airwolf printers use 3 mm but their extruder alone is $$. Find something that can print high temperature material

Comment

I dont know what kind of stuff he was doing with 3mm. He had it posted for sale on the offer up app 2 years ago and was never able to sell it , so when i messaged him he just gave it all to me because he wanted it out of his garage. I pick up the last load of it he had yesterday, he gave a total of 545 spools, only 20 of them are 1.75, (4-pla,16-abs) the other 525 are 3mm both pla and abs, which is the reason i am wondering about how to switch over eventually. I dont know anyone that uses 3dprinters so trading would be out of the question. So If i understood you right, i need to just get a 3mm direct drive extruder hotend combo. And i should be good? Would wiring or the printers os or the extruder motor have to change any?

Comment

When i look it up all i come up with is this

Wangdd22 High Speed V6 Print Pack for RepRap 3D Printer 1.75/3mm Filament Metal Hotend Volcano Extra Nozzles + Heater Block+NTC 3950 Thermistor https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FJ7N280..._LNJxAbBE6E0KC

And this

CTYRZCH 2 Pieces 3d Printer Extruder Pulley 40 Teeth Bore 5mm Drive Gear for 1.75mm & 3mm Filament https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016Q7YJAM..._cIKxAbV0JY8WY

Is something like this all i need? I cant seem to find anything as far as "3mm direct drive extruder hotend combo"...

Comment

Glad that you got 3D printing filament in gratis but I advise not to use the 3mm filament if the extruder supports 1.75 mm.

However, you could get a different sized nozzle and the 3mm filament too could be used to print the objects.
                      We are #1 place to buy and sell 3d printers. We are offering best 3d printers for sale at best price. Visit our store to compare and buy 3d printers and read Latest Reviews.

Comment

Originally posted by steveprinters29
                        Glad that you got 3D printing filament in gratis but I advise not to use the 3mm filament if the extruder supports 1.75 mm.

However, you could get a different sized nozzle and the 3mm filament too could be used to print the objects.
                        Thats what im asking about. How can i make my printer support the 3mm filament? What parts do i need to make it work? I cant find anything along the lines of "3mm extruder hotend combo" for now i have a few spools of 1.75 mm untill i need to change to 3mm but i want to know ahead of time before i runout of 1.75mm and come to a standstill.

Comment

Working...
                        X