Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from a school teacher and new 3d print enthusiast

Hi Everyone,

I am an elementary teacher in a school that has had a 3d printer for a year now but we have never used it up until last week. The model is Tiertime Upbox 3D. I have made one successful print and have been having a great time playing around before I introduce it to the students. I have had a major issue today thought with the filament not extruding correctly and instead, melting to and all around the nozzle. So I am going to be here looking for active solutions as I am the only person at the school who has any knowledge about 3d printers and that knowledge is rudimentary at best.

Cheers,

Ryan

Are you in the UK or further ?
    If in the UK, the fastest way to assist is to speak - telephone thing or email...

Comment

I am in Lebanon. I will try emailing the customer support. Thanks.

Comment

Try tightening everything around the hotend and nozzle

Comment

Hello!

I am a 6th grader in Grand Rapids, Mi. In the USA. I started. 3D printer project and have run into many problems. I run the 3D printer. I would recommend getting some cleaning filament. Pretty useful for clogged nozzles.

Comment

I can't access the the nozzle or any of the surrounding structure as it is all caked with a melted ball of plastic. What cleaning materials would be useful in dissolving the plastic without harming the nozzle head?

Comment

Open the maintenance setup. From there you should be able to heat up the extruder. That way the caked filament will melt. Then test the head to see if it still extrudes. If so, just clean the head (watch out, hot!).
              My guess is that your z-axis alignment has shifted, so you'll have to calibrate it again.

Comment

What would have thrown off my z-axis alignment? When I did the recalibration after I replaced the print, board? Also, is seems that some of the plastic has melted around certain wires that are connected to the nozzle, I'm guessing this is bad.

Comment

That must have been quite a large object if the filament is up to the wiring. It would be best to clean that. Get all the filament out, make sure your nozzle is clear and re-calibrate. It shouldn't have to be recalibrated after every print. Test it with a small object after everything. Then it should be good to go again.

Comment

Steefaan, I have tried heating up the nozzle for 15 minutes but I can't get any of the filament to come off, it is rock hard. Should I disassemble the entire extruder head and then use acetone to remove the filament or is there any other chemical to be used when simply prying with tools wont work?

Please see this link: http://imgur.com/gallery/VZfFI

Comment

Looking at the picture I'd say disassamble the entire extruder head. Try to cut it with small pliers into pieces. Acetone works, but it will take ages for the entire blob to solve. Use it when there is only small residue left on your parts.
                      nd make sure to order new nozzles, just in case. They're not expensive and sometimes its not worth the time and trouble to clean them. AliExpress offers loads of them and are of good quality. Brass or steel nozzles are best.
                      I hope this helps, good luck!

Comment

If I were you, I will use "heat gun" to melt it.

Comment

Register or Login

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X